A memorable teacher..

I have many memorable teachers, unfortunately, many bad.  So I will be positive and focus on one that I remember all the way back from my junior high years. (1973).  His name was Mr. Coletta and he was a science teacher.  Now science and I never really got along but I needed an elective and somehow took a class known as “Bacteriololgy”. By its name it was the study of bacteria.  Sounds awful but he made it so much fun and interesting.  I’ll never forget one experiement where we all had petri dishes and got to go around the school and swab different things to grow in the dishes.  We then had to do certain tests using various chemicals to try and determine what the bacteria was.  He was always pleasant and fun.  The interesting thing is I use a similar lab in my foods class when talking about foodborne illnesses.  I have the kids go around the classroom and swab everything.  The bacteria grows over a few days and it gets the point across to the kids that bacteria is all around, even if we think we are clean.  The kids in my high school class enjoyed it as much as I did back then.

2 thoughts on “A memorable teacher..

1. Yvette Deborrah Montplaiser

Hi, Jon,
    I always remember your lesson about food-borne illnesses it was so much fun; your Science teacher has really left his lasting impression on you he has taught you well. Mr. Coletta was a great teacher from your description; he had formed a strong relationship with his students and showed that he cared about you all. Great teachers are always warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring.
    Yvette